Sunday, August 10, 2014

Using a passion for great use...

Today as I am looking over all the things I want to make/bake for my new low carb low sugar diet.. it dawned on me. Why don't I share my recipes? Share my experiences... I know so many other women out there going through the same struggles I am. It's called PCOS.. and its a bummer. You can read about my story here.

Baking, cooking, gardening, and all of the above are passions of mine. Of course.. haven PCOS carbs, sugars, and all the yummy stuff really get cut out of the equation. I LOVE CARBS AND SUGARS. Like, seriously... bread at every meal.. ice cream could be an all day snack. But, this just doesn't work for me.. and with having PCOS weight tends to just come out of no where, even when you're not eating "bad"per say.. more like I normal person might eat. Being married to someone who can eat anything in sight and not gain a pound can be hard in the house.. He eats, and I gain it for him. That's fun right?

Luckily, my husband is all for clean and healthy eating. We do tons of gardening, canning, and growing our own food. We try to keep our meats as organic as possible and even grow our own meats too. In today's society.. you just can't trust where your stuff comes from anymore! That doesn't mean were perfect.. you'll find a frozen processed food in our freezer.. some snacks that I don't know any of the ingredients on. Were definitely not perfect, but we try to be on our best behavior as we can.

Plus.. eating healthy.. equals $$$$. WHY, why is is so expensive for the good stuff? You'd think in todays age with so many people over weight, they might push to lower the price on the good stuff. And being a young couple just starting in this world, with an almost 10 month old baby.. well money is definitely an issue.

These past few weeks my husband and I have really kicked it into high gear. Im trying to lose weight.. and were trying to be healthier for our little boy. He deserves that right? We've been eating great and working out almost EVERYDAY.. I also signed up for a 5k.. (yikes!) You can read about that here...

So.. being a baker.. I decided to put it to good use. Not only just for me.. but for all the other women out there who like me just try so so hard to be healthy, but its just that much harder for us compared.

Today I start with a pretty darn simple recipe. It just doesn't get more simple then this..

Parmesan Crisps
If you like cheez-its and cheese flavored crackers. I promise this will help your cravings. Just want some crunch on that salad without the croutons? Try these! Dip them anything your heart desires. They are low carb, and no sugars. BUT.. the fat is a little higher, so if you are trying to watch fat intake too, just eat in moderation.

Ingredients:
1 Bag of Shredded Parmesan Cheese (you could also use Romano or Asiago - just stick to hard cheeses)

Thats is folks. 1 ingredient.

Take a good baking pan, and coat it with some spray. You could also put on parchment paper if you have old baking sheets. Put about dollar coin size mound on there. You could really do any size that you want, you could even get creative and make shapes!

They don't spread too much, you can keep about an inch or inch and half distance between them. Pop them in the oven at 350 degrees, and bake for about 8-10 minutes. Really depending on your oven (mine tends to heat things up a bit quicker) you bake them until they are all golden.. or getting slightly brown. Don't over do them too much. Take them out, let them cool and there you go! YUM

Depending on the size of the bag you get depends on the how much you will get out. I used a 6 oz bag, and it made approximately 25-30 Crisps

Mounds Of Cheese


The After effect

I hope you enjoy them. They're so simple. Keep coming back to check out my endeavors!

Parmesan Crisps Nutrition: (This can vary on how big you make your crisps, to get an accurate nutrition value, weigh your cheese when you put it your baking sheets)

Serving Size: 1/3 cup (28g) - 6 Servings per 6 oz bag
Per Serving: Calories 110, Total Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 4g - Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 340 mg, Potassium 30mg, Protein 10g

Total Carbs: 1g
Total Sugars: 0g

Nutrition Bonus: Calcium 30% daily value


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I will be sure to respond to your comment as soon as I can.. thanks for reading!