Monday, August 11, 2014

Low Carb Flax Bread

Morning all,

I'm back with a recipe I think anyone with a low carb diet is going to love. I'm a bread person... so naturally when I decided to go low carb, the thought of not having bread or pasta has been devastating. I look at the loaf of yummy bread and think.. damn I'd like to smother you with some good butter and jam. No no no Amber...

I decided to find a replacement.. and this next recipe is one step in that direction! It's fairly simple, and the end results were pretty pleasing. I would describe this bread as a dense bread, fairly heavy of the sort, but to me tasting some what like wheat bread or a whole grain bread. I ate it last night with a veggie burger and it hit the spot perfect. I hope you enjoy it! It could be modified and add ingredients such as different seasoning.. I added a few sunflower seeds to the top of mine (which would differ the nutrition value adding a little bit more of carbs - but good carbs!)

My input on this recipe... I substituted the 1-2 tablespoons of artificial sweetener with 2 tablespoons of honey.. I felt it was more natural, Im not big on artificial sweetener. Also, it definitely took some working to flatten this dough out - so don't feel you did it wrong, it was pretty stiff for me but I got it flatten out. I also used a 9x13 inch pan - If it would have been 10x15 I'm not sure if I would have actually gotten it completely squared and flatten.

You can see my changes in red on this recipe. Feel free to do whatever works best for you, this is what worked for me.

Flax Bread

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups flax seed meal
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1-2 Tablespoons sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener OR 2 Tablespoons of honey
  • 5 beaten eggs
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/3 cup oil

Preparation:

Flattened Dough
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or asilicone mat. I set my oven to 375 convect and used a 9x13 inch pan.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter. I actually just mixed my wet ingredients and then added one dry ingredient at a time leaving the flax meal for last. Its one less pan you have to dirty, and makes mixing less time. Works fine.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.) I did let this sit while I oiled up my pan and got everything ready to go in. 

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner). There is no "pouring" with this batter for me.. it was like a dough and I had to work it to the corners with my hands and a spatula, took about 5 minutes I swear, but I got the deed done. 

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is. It took exactly 20 minutes for me when the edges started browning, it was perfectly done.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife; I usually just cut it with a spatula. For a 9x13 inch pan this made about 12 slices around 3-4 inches big. 
Nutritional Information: Each of 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbohydrate (.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories.
The end result.. YUM

Be sure to check in next week, I'll be trying something out a little sweeter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I will be sure to respond to your comment as soon as I can.. thanks for reading!